If you have ever been responsible for taking care of a little child, whether it is just to make them stop crying or to put them to sleep, you will know these motions all too well.
While you enjoy having a tiny human in your arms, all the more so if they are yours, you soon start to get tired if they are agitated and are unable to be soothed.
That is when these motions and others, in this sequence or another, come into play and you have to act as a human swing to calm the baby down. But not anymore, because this is where electronic swings come into the picture.
In this blog post, we are going to share with you 10 of the best baby swings that are available in the market today.
You want to read on – trust us, your arms will thank you!
We often think, as adults, that infants do not really understand what is going on around them and do not enjoy the little things. But that is not true. Kids are aware of everything that is happening around them and the experiences they have as children make up who they become as adults. Needless to say, as a parent, you put the needs of your little sweethearts first, even if it sometimes means going out of your way and spending a little more than you would like to. At the end of the day that tiny little calm smile on their face, the purest sight you have ever seen, makes it all worth it. And that is what the best electric baby swing provides.
But that is not all. Your child is not the only person who enjoys having a swing around – as a parent, you end up being just as thankful for it. An infant swing is a godsend when it comes to keeping your baby calm and happy as you go about your daily activities. As much as you love your child, it is not possible for you to sit beside them or cradle them all day long just so that they remain calm.
Reasons to Buy a Baby Swing
Still not convinced? Here are some of the reasons why you absolutely need a baby swing in your life.
- Some babies just refuse to go to sleep until they are rocked and cradled into oblivion. If you are a parent to such a child, you will know the pain you feel in your arms once they have finally dozed off. A baby swing saves your arms from the daily exercise because it does all the work for you.
- There are things that need to be done around the house all day long. Just because you have created a tiny little human does not mean that the chores will do themselves. This is why you need a spot in the house where the baby will self-soothe so that you can get other things done. A baby swing is the perfect way to fill that spot.
- Most swings nowadays come with an array of stuffed toys and other gadgets with lights and sounds attached. This means that even if you are not in the same room, the baby will remain occupied with all the things that come with their swing.
- If you are a working parent, you need to know that your baby is used to your absence from an early age. If you carry them around all day long, they will not get into the habit of being without you and this can become a problem when your maternity or paternity leave ends and you have to go back in to work. By getting a swing that mimics your own movement as you carry and comfort your child, you can make sure that your baby will be alright for the time you are gone every single day.
- If one has a baby with colic, a swing is a godsend. If you have ever been a parent to a tiny human with colic, you will know what we are talking about – they can go on crying for hours on end. A top-quality product that swings the child in a slow, smooth, calming manner can really soothe the baby and make them more comfortable than they would’ve been while stationary.
Things to Look for in a Baby Swing
Now that we have discussed some of the benefits of the best selling baby swings you can find in the market and why you need one in your life, here’s a look at some of the features you need to consider when making the purchase. While you may think that the swing has a single job, how much of a difference can specifications really make, the truth is that a lot! You need to find a swing for your baby that is perfect for the unique needs of your household. Here are some the things you need to be mindful of.
- Frame – The basic structure of the frame is what provides support to the rest of the swing. For it to be safe for your baby, you need to make sure that it is sturdy. The material, as well as the design, has a role to play in that. Make sure that the basic structure of the swing and frame and the way in which it is put together scream safe.
- Swing Speed – Some swings have a manual setup, you need to give them a push to get them started and they will keep in motion for a while after that. Most modern-day swings, however, are powered by a battery or an alternative power source which allows them to run on electricity and stay in motion on their own. If going for such a swing, it would likely suit you better to go for an option that has the maximum number of swing speeds. While you may want a faster speed for when your child is awake and active and needs to be distracted as you go about your daily activities, a much slower speed is better when it comes to putting the little munchkin to sleep. You will thank yourself if you choose a swing that offers the flexibility of having both options.
- Size – Again, this is a very major consideration. While you may want to opt for the best swing for big babies, one that is relatively larger and accommodates your child for more than a few months, you need to be mindful of the fact that this is not a swing out in the open – you have to fit it inside your living room or another room without making it look too cramped. The size you go for, thus, should be chosen keeping in mind your living space. In addition to this, you need to consider the fact that, depending on the direction/s it swings in, the swing will take more space when operational than when it is stationary – you don’t want it bumping into things and things falling on your little one, potentially hurting them in the process.
- Power Source – Different swings are powered in different ways. Some require batteries while others have to be plugged into a socket for them to work. Again, your personal preferences and choices determine which one you should go for.
- Comfort – Having an uncomfortable baby swing beats the point of having one in the first place. What you want from the swing is to provide your baby with an alternative to your arms, the most comforting place that exists for a little child. You want the seat of the swing to be the second best so that your child does not miss out when you do not get to hold them. Choose between padded and plain seats, as well as those that allow for a good posture and are secure as can be.
- Safety Measures – Swings can be dangerous, especially those that have high swinging speeds. Even with a basic swing, it can lose its balance if someone or something bumps into it. So first of all, you need to look for a swing that has the perfect balance and cannot be knocked over easily. Secondly, the swing should have a safety harness that makes sure your child remains safe, even if an accident does occur.
- Sound and Light – While various sound and light systems are used by different swings to keep your child entertained and/or distracted whenever needed, you need to make sure they do not cause a sensory overload. Sounds that are too loud or lights that flash too bright can be a pain for the parents but they can actually be dangerous for your child, so keep both these things in mind when making a purchase.
- Cleanliness – Babies are messy – we all know that. There will come a time every now and again when the swing will get dirty and there is no way you want your little munchkin to be laying in a pile of germs that you cannot see but you know is there. To get rid of this problem, make sure that the swing allows you to remove its seat cover whenever you need to wash it.
Top10 Best Baby Swings of 2019
By now, you must have an idea of why it would be a good option to get yourself a baby swing and you must be convinced to buy one.
Below, we have
Simply go through the table to make a comparison of the swings while keeping in mind your specific needs.
But that’s not all. In this blog post, we discuss the specifications of each of the top rated baby swings in detail so that you don’t have to visit 10 thousand different websites to get all the basic details in one place.
Without further ado, let’s begin!
|Name||Maximum Recommended Weight (lb)||Weight of Swing (lb)||Dimensions (inches)||Power Source||Price|
|Fisher Price Cradle 'n Swing||25||25||35.43 x 37.8 x 46.06||Battery or plug-in|
|Graco Duetsoothe Swing Plus Rocker||30||21||33 x 34 x 43||Battery or plug-in|
|Graco Simple Sway Baby Swing||30||17.2||30 x 31 x 38||Battery or plug-in|
|Ingenuity Cozy Kingdom Portable Swing||20||9.85||22.5 x 28.5 x 23||Battery|
|Graco EveryWay Soother Swing with Removable Rocker||25||22.53||28 x 25.5 x 35||Plug-in|
|4Moms mamaRoo Classic||25||19||33 x 19.5 x 25.5||Plug-in|
|Graco Glider LX Gliding Swing||30||17.9||28 x 24.5 x 36||Battery or Plug-in|
|4moms rockaRoo||25||11.5||29.6 x 16.5 x 27.5||Plug-in|
|Fisher-Price Deluxe Take-Along Swing and Seat||20||10||19.84 x 25.39 x 25.04||Battery|
|Graco DreamGlider Gliding Swing||30||22.24||32.44 x 22.05 x 9.37||Battery or Plug-in|
Moving on…now that you have a general idea of the best swings in the market, having glanced over their specifications, let’s look at the features of each one in more detail so that you can make an informed decision.
Fisher Price Cradle
‘n Swing – The Best Classic Baby Swing
- The Smart Swing Technology of this swing, which can sense the baby’s weight and proceed accordingly, ensures that your child is comforted like you never thought was possible.
- This stroller offers two swinging motions – you can either have it swing side-by-side or you can choose to have it swing in a head-to-toe motion.
- You can either plug the product in or you can power it using 4D alkaline batteries.
- It features a huge range of six swing speeds. So whether you want to put the baby to sleep at a slow speed or soothe them when they are having a meltdown at a higher one, this swing has you covered from all angles.
- You have the option to choose from 16 songs and nature sounds to keep your baby entertained or distracted…or both!
- Three owl mobile toys provide for further entertainment opportunities.
- You can choose to recline the swing to various positions. There are also three other options when it comes to the position of the seat, namely right-facing,
centre, and left-facing.
- The soft and padded seat snuggles your baby and allows them (and ultimately you) to be at peace!
- Easy to fold and battery-powered, you can take it with you while on the go.
- The seat cover is machine-washable.
What We Think
When it comes to baby products, Fisher Price is one of those companies that you just cannot go wrong with.
They are experts when it comes to understanding the psyche of little humans, as well as meeting the changing needs of parents in this era. And they have proven that with this innovative product! With a soft, comfy seat that can be set to multiple positions, six swing speeds, and a larger number of sounds to keep the baby happy among many other things, this product really is the best classic baby swing.
Graco Duetsoothe Swing Plus Rocker – Best Baby Swing for Colic
- This is not one but two products in one. How, you may ask? The seat of the swing can be removed and acts as a rocker when and if the need arises. The rocker is for babies from birth to 18 months old.
- You can adjust the seating positions, which means that you have the ability to choose which direction your child swings in, side-by-side or head-to-toe.
- A carry handle on the rocker allows you to carry it around with you easily, from one room to the other – this ensures that your baby doesn’t have to be alone for extended lengths of time as you go about your daily chores.
- As with the previous option, this swing also gives you the option to plug it into the power supply or use a battery for it to function. This also adds to the portability element of the swing.
- Six swinging speeds allow you to choose one according to your needs at a particular time.
- A vibration feature that offers two different speed settings keeps the baby calm against all odds. This is especially helpful for a baby with colic.
- The seat has body support so that your child is always comfortable.
- With 10 different melodies, as well as five wonderful sounds from nature, your baby will never get bored – and that is exactly what you need.
- A 5-point harness system makes sure that the wriggliest baby stays put in the swing.
What We Think
What this baby swing provides you is a combination of different swing speeds and directions, as well as two different vibration speeds, giving you a number of options to choose from when deciding how to keep your little one happy. For a baby with colic who finds comfort in very few things, this proves to an exceptional accessory.
Graco Simple Sway Baby Swing – Best for Small Spaces
- You can run this swing on D batteries, as well as by plugging it in. This ensures that you can move it around while also saving money on batteries when it is stationary.
- This product swings from side to side in a soothing motion at six different speeds. You can choose the best one based on what your baby wants at that particular moment.
- When you want to stop the swing from moving to and fro while also keeping the baby calm, you can simply go for the vibrate mode. Two vibrating speed options, again, let you decide the intensity of the operation based on your unique conditions.
- This swing has a relatively more compact and lightweight frame. So while most swings that can be powered by batteries have the ability to be moved around, this one is actually easy to carry from one room to the other. It also fits easily is any part of the house so that you do not have to worry about your space looking cramped.
- A deep, plush seat that has body support makes sure that your child remains comfortable.
- 15 songs and sounds keep your child happy and entertained for hours on end, which means you can accomplish your daily tasks with ease.
What We Think
This product contains all the best features you could possibly want to make sure your baby remains calm and happy, even when you are not able to hold him or her in your arms. What sets it apart from the swings we have discussed so far is that it is lighter in weight and more compact, making it easy for you to move it around the house and fit it in any room without making it hard to walk around later. And that’s not all – you get all these features at a highly affordable price, making it one of the best compact baby swings in the market.
Ingenuity Cozy Kingdom Portable Swing – Best Affordable Baby Swing
- Lightweight, compact, and foldable, this swing is extremely easy to not only move around, but also to transport.
- The comfortable, softly padded seat of the swing reclines to two positions, which means that if your baby is not comfortable in one, you can easily switch them to another so that they can be at peace.
- Six speed options give you full control over the motion of the swing.
- The product sports six original melodies that your baby will not have heard anywhere else. This will keep them entertained endlessly.
- The foam toy bar which has two soft toys pivots with ease – your little munchkin can, thus, move it around and set its position as they like with ease.
- Machine washable (with care taken and instructions followed closely, of course), the seat always remains clean – something that is very important for your child.
- This product can also be operated using batteries. This makes it easy to move around but you do need to always remain stocked up on those batteries because if you run out of power, you will have no backup plug-in option to turn to.
What We Think
What sets this swing apart is its compact size and its light weight – it almost weighs half as much as some of its competitors in the market, making it one of the best portable baby swings.
First of all, this makes is suitable for all kinds of families, even those that do not have a lot of space to spare inside the home and a bulky swing is not an option for them.
Secondly, it is light and foldable, hence it is very easy for you to transport.
So you no longer have to worry about your baby being uneasy during that 2-week long trip to Grandma’s – you can just take the swing with you so that everyone has a good time. What really takes the cake, however, is that these wonderful features, among many others, are available at a very affordable price, hence this is one of the best cheap baby swings currently in existence.
Graco EveryWay Soother – Best Swing for a Fussy Child
- This product swings in eight different ways, namely arch, swing, bounce, figure 8, circle, wave, zig-zag, and sway. This provides you with a variety of different options to break the monotony.
- The swing moves in two different directions, meaning that your child can enjoy their swings side-by-side or in a head-to-toe motion. Combined with the eight ways to swing, this gives you a total of 16 different motions to soothe your child. So if one doesn’t work, you can always move on the next.
- There are six speeds that you can choose from, so whether you are putting the baby to sleep or are playing bounce with him or her, this product has you covered. You also get to pick from two different vibrating speeds.
- This product is heavy and so it is hard to carry around with you. However, there is a removable rocker that you can take with you instead.
- A plush, comfy seat with a three-position recline allows your child to relax in a position of their choosing.
- 15 songs and sounds keep them forever entertained.
What We Think
While this product is on the more expensive side and is also heavier than the usual baby bouncer, it has a major benefit that others do not. What, you may ask? Well, as we have discussed in detail, it has a diverse range of swing motions, speeds, and directions, which ensures that if one doesn’t work, you can always move on to the next, eventually finding your child’s preference. So if you have a fussy child, this is the product for you.
4Moms mamaRoo Classic – Best Splurge Baby Swing
- With five different motions and speeds, you do not need to worry about a lack of diversity when it comes to movement. Just like a child experiences different kinds of motions in their mother or father’s arms, they get to witness varied movement in this swing.
- An adjustable seat recline makes the product suitable for newborns, who need to be in a flat position, as well as for older children who want to look around when they are in the seat.
- A woven nylon material that you can wash in the machine always remains neat and tidy.
- The device is Bluetooth enabled. This means that you can control the motion and sound from your compatible smart device.
- Rattle, mirror, and crinkle balls keep your baby occupied.
- The product sports four built-in sounds and an MP3 plugin.
What We Think
One of the major advantages of this product over all the others we have discussed in this blog post is that it is Bluetooth enabled and you can control all its movements and sounds from your smartphone if it is compatible. So when you come home after a long day at work, for example, and your baby just doesn’t seem to be getting comfy, you don’t have to get up after every few minutes and adjust the settings of the swing – you can do it from your smartphone.
Graco Glider LX Gliding – Best Small Baby Swing
- With an option to plug the swing into your power supply or use batteries for it to be functional, you can choose what suits you best. Because it is operational using a battery, you can take it with you when you move around the house, from room to room. At all other times, you can plug it in using the AC adapter and save energy and money along the process.
- Its innovative design has been crafted in a creative manner, ensuring that it takes up to 40% less space than other leading designs in the market. The compact design allows you to use it in your home, even if you have a smaller space than most.
- A vibration mode with two varying settings keeps your baby calm under all circumstances.
- Six different speeds put you in control and allow you to find the perfect one for your child.
- Being compact does not mean that the manufacturers compromised on the seat – it is roomy and comfortable, perfect for your child.
- With 10 melodies and five nature sounds, your baby will find it very hard to get bored.
- The swing comes with a toy bar with two hanging toys. This bar is great at keeping the baby occupied and is also movable, which means that you can adjust it to a position that suits you best.
- A 5-point harness means that even if you have a baby who likes to move around a lot, they will not fall out of the swing.
What We Think
This is one of those options you always have in your top three because of the sheer amount of functions and convenience it offers at an affordable price. What sets this product apart is its size. A compact frame that doesn’t compromise on the comfort of your baby also keeps your ease of use in mind. If you live in a small space or you generally do not want the swing to take up a lot of room, this is the best baby swing for you.
4moms RockaRoo – Best Infant Swing
- Another very compact product, this swing prides itself in taking up just one-third of the space that usual swings take, making it a great option for people with a smaller amount of room. It is also light in weight so it is not that difficult to move around.
- The front-to-back gliding motion of the swing is similar to what you, as a parent, provide to the child. This makes them feel like they are close to you, even when they are not.
- There are five different swing speeds that you can choose from, putting you in full control.
- Children can be messy – no surprises there. The machine-washable seat cover of this product ensures that you can keep the swing nice and clean by tossing it in the washing machine whenever you see any signs of dirt.
- The swing features a toy mobile with three different toys so that your child remains busy all day long.
What We Think
Another product in the compact swings category, this is perfect for you if you do not like your rooms cramped until there is barely any space to walk. While babies appear to be tiny and you don’t think they will take up much room, their belongings take over your entire house and you have to be very careful about dimensions when buying a new product. With this swing, that is one worry off your shoulders.
Fisher-Price Deluxe Swing and Seat – Best Portable Baby Swing
- With a small weight, this product is easy to move around. So while you go about your daily activities, you do not need to leave your child alone in the room if you are going to be a while – you can just take them with you.
- The swing has six different speeds so you can choose from them based on what you need it to do in that exact moment.
- With a vibration mode, you can keep the seat stationary while not quite so still at all, keeping your baby calm at all times.
- 10 different tunes and nature sounds play a role in soothing your baby when you think nothing else will work.
- The swing folds flat, making it easy to transport.
- A comfortable, padded seat makes sure that your child remains comfortable at all times. It also comes with a newborn insert so that you can start using it without any delays.
- The non-skid feet make sure that the swing stays put while the overhead handle allows you to easily carry it from one place to another when and if the need arises.
- Two bird toys keep your child distracted when you need that the most.
What We Think
If you are a parent who travels a lot with their family or who often takes long trips to Grandma’s house, you can count on this swing to have you covered. All you need to do is to fold it up and take it along with you, wherever you go. The portability element, as well as all the other features the swing offers that make sure your baby remains calm and happy at all times, makes it one of the best products in the market, that too at an affordable rate.
Graco DreamGlider Gliding Swing – Best Sleeper Baby Swing
- This two-in-one thing of beauty may just be what you had been waiting for. A swing that doubles as a sleeper, the seat can gently recline from the swing position to a flat one, allowing your baby to sleep soundly. A single one-hand motion can do the job for you.
- Six swinging speeds allow you to take into account what you need the swing for in a particular moment, as well as keep in mind your child’s preferences so that you can choose the perfect motion for them.
- Two vibration settings are also available to soothe your child when you don’t quite want too much movement.
- With 10 melodies and five nature sounds, this swing/sleeper is just what you need to keep your baby calm and happy.
- The swing comes with a mobile that has soft toys attached so that your child has company.
- A 3-point harness keeps your child safe and secure.
- The swing comes with a timer mode that automatically turns the swing or vibrations off after a certain amount of time. This helps to conserve battery.
What We Think
While this is one of the more expensive swings that we have discussed in this blog post, it is worth the price because of its two-in-one functionality. On top of that, the time feature is perfect for parents or caretakers who are busy bees and have 10 things going on at once. With the timer, you can save a lot of battery life as, even if you forget to turn the swing off after your kid has finally dozed off, for example, the swing will do it for you.
Answering Some Frequently Asked Questions
Now that you have gone through our list of the best baby swings in the market currently, each against a specific need, you must be in a much better position to make a purchase. If you still have any questions, we will hopefully answer them below. If not, happy shopping – may you swing in the right direction (pun intended)!
Are baby swings good for babies?
Too much of anything is bad and a baby swing is no different. Having discussed all the positives of having a baby swing in the home, let’s now discuss some precautionary measures. While we do understand that a baby swing is a necessity and that the modern-day parent can likely not do without one, it is also important to realize that there is no alternative to the loving arms of a parent – the swing should not become a permanent substitute for that. Your baby should not be in the swing all day long – only when it’s absolutely necessary.
If you make the mistake of buying a swing that does not provide adequate head support or messes with the posture of your child, you will regret it in the long run so be extremely mindful of that when making the purchase. In any case, don’t leave your child in the swing for longer than they need to be and you should be good to go.
Can you put a newborn in a swing?
Most swings are suitable for newborns as they come with a flat recline option, as well as a safety harness that makes sure that even the wriggliest of tiny humans cannot get out and hurt themselves. Other swings often come with infant inserts that you have to use with a newborn. In any case, be sure to go through the specifications of the swing thoroughly before you make the purchase.
What age do babies grow out of swings?
Mostly, when children start crawling or walking around, they do not want to sit anymore, even if it is in a swing. This may be around the age of one. They may use it occasionally after that, but only when they are tired or want a nap among other things.
What is the weight limit on most baby swings?
Most manufacturers suggest a maximum weight of around 20 – 30lb when it comes to a baby swing.
Latest posts by Catherine Nichol (see all)
- The Best Stretch Mark Creams of 2019 – Buyer’s Guide - June 27, 2019
- Buying the Best Diaper Bags in 2019 - June 27, 2019
- Find the Best Toddler Car Seats – Buyer’s Guide - June 27, 2019