Is the baby fed?
Are they clean?
Did they get enough sleep?
Then why will they not stop crying?
You likely answer a lot more questions before you get to the last one each time your baby has a crying fit. And when that happens, you can have the world’s best baby swing to try and soothe them or the best jumper with the most amazing toys to distract them, they will not stop. But wait, did you check their diaper? One of the reasons for their discomfort and, hence, the constant crying can be a diaper rash or at least the beginnings of one. And that can be fixed using the best diaper rash creams available in the market today.
A diaper rash is one of the most common problems faced by every parent of a young child. And understandably so. It puts their child, a little piece of their heart in pain and nothing gives a parent more agony than seeing their child in pain. And we are sure you are not any different. But thanks to the best rash creams, you can make sure that your baby remains at ease.
But it isn’t as easy as that. There are lots of brands and types to choose from, lots of specifications to keep in mind, and lots of ingredients to avoid. It is absolutely essential that you do your research before you actually go out and buy a cream.
And that is what we are here for – to make your life easy. Before we get into the details of each individual diaper rash cream that we have picked out for you, we will discuss some of the questions parents usually have about the creams, as well as some things to look out for when making the purchase.
Also, read; Best Sunscreen for Babies
Let’s get right into it!
What is Diaper Rash?
A diaper rash is basically inflamed skin on a baby’s bottom that is red, sore, and often painful for the child.
How do I identify Diaper Rash?
We just mentioned some of the basic signs of a diaper rash above – redness, soreness, and pain. It is also likely that the skin also looks a little puffy or swollen because of the irritation. There are, of course, different degrees of diaper rash, ranging from mild to extremely severe and this will become obvious by the degree of redness and irritation.
What Causes Diaper Rash?
Diaper rash can be attributed to a large number of things. Here, we will discuss some of the common causes of the condition but that’s not all! We will also tell you ways to avoid them, wherever possible.
- Prolonged exposure to urine and stool:
The time between diaper changes shouldn’t be too long and there is a reason for that – you do not want your baby’s skin to be exposed to waste for too long. This is why it is also common to almost always hear the complaint of diaper rash when one’s child has diarrhea because the skin is exposed to the stool for longer. The best solution, therefore, is to keep an eye on the diaper and change it as soon as it becomes dirty as this will reduce the chances of irritating skin.
- Inappropriate clothing or diaper sizes:
The skin of a small baby is extremely sensitive – if the clothes or the diaper they are wearing is too fitted and rubs against the skin with every movement, the probability of a rash developing is a lot higher. So make sure that you don’t buy diapers or clothes that are too tight so that your child remains comfortable and happy.
- Reaction to new products:
There are multiple things that come into contact with your baby’s bottom. These can include diapers, clothes, baby wipes, soap, and so on. If any of these products have irritants or use harmful ingredients, it can cause a diaper rash. But that is not all – even products that are supposed to be 100% safe and effective can have a negative effect on your child’s skin. This even goes for diaper rash creams for your baby girl or boy. So make sure that you are not exposing your little one’s skin to anything that is potentially causing their skin to get irritated.
- Changes in the baby’s menu:
When the food that goes into your child’s system changes, what comes out is also different. This difference can also lead to a diaper rash. The best thing is to use a cream from the get-go so that it doesn’t come to the point where you have to look for a cream that will perform healing capabilities.
- A bacterial or fungal infection:
If your child develops a bacterial or fungal infection, it has the perfect breeding ground to grow as diapers are almost always moist. This can be prevented by creating a barrier between the baby’s skin and the moisture – and the best baby diaper rash cream can do just that.
- Antibiotic use:
The use of strong medicines often gives children diarrhea. And as you can imagine, that contributes to prolonged exposure to moisture and stool. The best solution, in such a situation, is to keep a check on the diaper and change it at regular intervals while also applying the best diaper rash cream with every change to prevent a rash from developing.
Which cream is best for diaper rash?
If you are wondering what are the best diaper rash creams works best, know that any cream you buy keeping all the things we discussed above in mind should be good to go. However, we are now going to discuss the top 10 products in the diaper rash cream niche with you. We will pick one at the end that we think is the best but you can choose any of the 10 based on your own requirements and preferences.
10 Best Diaper Rash Creams in 2023 – Quick Comparison:
10 Best Diaper Rash Creams in 2023 – Detail Reviews:
1. Earth Mama Organic Diaper Balm:
Directions for Use:
Apply a thin layer over the baby’s bottom every time you change or wash them.
It can also be used by the rest of the family as needed – just apply it, rub it anywhere on the body, and achieve baby-soft skin (only for external use).
Organic Olive (Olea Europaea) Fruit Oil, Organic Shea (Butyrospermum Parkii) Butter, Organic Beeswax (Cera Flava), Organic Jojoba (Simmondsia Chinensis) Seed Oil, Organic Lavender (Lavandula Angustifolia) Flower Oil, Organic Tea Tree (Melaleuca Alternifolia) Leaf Oil, Organic Calendula (Calendula Officinalis) Flower Extract, Organic St. John’s Wort (Hypericum Perforatum) Extract, Organic Chickweed (Stellaria Media) Extract, Organic Plantain (Plantago Major) Extract.
- This diaper cream is 100% organic meaning that you can rest at peace knowing no harmful chemicals are coming into touch with your baby’s skin.
- The product is primarily made with organic beeswax, as well as organic oils, herbal extracts, and botanicals.
- It is dermatologist-tested and completely safe. Clinically tested, this cream has been proven to be effective.
- The balm is extra soothing and soft on the baby’s skin.
- It is not just for rashes – it can be used for burns, scrapes, cuts, and bug bites among many other things.
- It contains no petroleum, parabens, or any other materials that are harmful to your child.
- It washes out easily and so is really good for cloth diapers.
- The product is free from artificial fragrances.
- This cream is USDA-certified.
- It is certified organic by Oregon Tilth, as well as non-GMO project verified.
When it comes to products that come in direct contact with your baby’s skin, you want to go as naturally as possible. And that is where this cream comes into the picture. Made with organic beeswax and oils and herbal extracts among many other things, it is great for your baby’s bottom as it is 100% USDA-certified organic. On top of that, it does not contain any toxic elements that can harm your baby’s skin and health. And because it is easily washable, it is the best diaper rash cream for use with cloth diapers. All in all, a great product.
2. Aquaphor Baby Healing Ointment – Best for Dry and Cracked Skin:
Directions for Use:
Apply a layer over the diaper area after you have cleaned it well after every change. You can apply as much as you think is necessary at the time.
Active Ingredient – Petrolatum (41%) – Skin protectant (ointment) treatment or prevention of diaper rash. Inactive Ingredients: Mineral Oil, Ceresin, Lanolin Alcohol, Panthenol, Glycerin, Bisabolol.
- Protects the baby’s skin from wetness, acidity, and painful chafing so that your baby does not get a rash to begin with.
- If they do get a rash, the manufacturers claim that the cream relieves it in just a few hours.
- Creates a barrier on the skin that is the perfect healing environment that is needed.
- The formula allows oxygen to flow through easily so the healing process is quickened.
- Because it is hypoallergenic, it does not cause a reaction on your baby’s skin.
- It contains no parabens, dyes, or any other elements that are harmful to your baby.
- It is free from fragrances as they can act as irritants.
- Dermatologist-recommended not just for diaper rash, but also for dry and cracked skin, as well as chapped lips among other things.
- It can be used to treat, cuts, scrapes, irritated skin anywhere on the body, dry cuticles, drool rash, and much more.
This is pretty much an ideal all-around skin solution for the entire family. It is perfect for cuts and scrapes, dry and cracked skin, chapped lips, and much more. When it comes to the baby, you can use it for drool rash, dry skin, and, most, importantly, diaper rash. It promises the prevention and healing of diaper rash and we have to say, it does not disappoint. With a unique hypoallergenic, dermatologist-approved formula that speeds up and facilitates the healing process, it is nothing short of a miracle. It is pretty much the best diaper rash creams for diarrhea and a resultant rash.
3. Boudreaux’s Butt Paste Diaper – Best Cream for Severe Diaper Rash:
Directions for Use:
Clean the diaper area at the time of each diaper change and allow it to dry completely. Once dried, add a layer of the cream before putting a new diaper in place. You can use as much cream as you think is necessary based on the baby’s condition.
Active Ingredient – Zinc Oxide, 40% (Skin Protectant)
Inactive Ingredients: Castor Oil, Mineral Oil, Paraffin, Peruvian Balsam, Petrolatum.
- The product only uses a small number of ingredients, which shows that it does not use any unnecessary elements – just the ones that are absolutely needed.
- This cream not only helps treat diaper rash, but it also prevents it in the first place.
- It gives your child relief from discomfort and helps them feel at ease.
- Preservatives, parabens, and talc do not have any place in this cream, nor do any other harmful, toxic substances.
- It is pediatrician-recommended, which is further proof of the fact that it is effective.
- The cream is free from dyes as they can act as irritants.
- This variant of the product, Maximum Strength, has 40% zinc-oxide, as opposed to 16% in both, the original and the natural formulae.
- This makes it ideal when it comes to the treatment of severe rash.
This product has a number of variants in the market but this one contains 40% zinc oxide, more than double the amount other variants have, which makes it the best cream for severe diaper rash. Pediatricians recommend this product as one of the best solutions when it comes to diaper rash for toddlers, as well as for younger babies. It does contain Peruvian balsam, however, which can act as an allergen. Overall, though, it is one of the best products that many parents swear by.
4. Cetaphil Baby Diaper Cream – Best Diaper Rash Creams for Sensitive Skin:
4. Cetaphil Baby Diaper Cream – Best Diaper Rash Creams for Sensitive Skin:
Directions for Use:
Apply to your baby’s bottom between diaper changes once you have completely cleaned the area.
Water, propylene glycol, zinc oxide, isopropyl palmitate, Helianthus Annuus (sunflower) seed oil, polyglceryl-3 polyricinoleate, polyglyceryl-3 diisosterate, glycerin, Ricinus communis (castor) seed oil, hexyl decanol, hexyldexcyl laurate, panthenol (vitamin B5), calendula Officinalis flower extract, heliotropin, beeswax, zinc sulfate, zinc stearate, tocopherol (vitamin E), glycerin soja (soybean) oil, citric acid.
- The product, when applied to the diaper area, forms an emollient layer that keeps water away from your baby’s irritated skin – this helps it heal in a better and faster way.
- It is hypoallergenic, hence perfect for your baby’s sensitive skin.
- The cream is dermatologist-tested.
- The organic calendula extract has a soothing effect on the baby’s skin so that they do not have to be in pain.
- It has a specially created formula that is perfect for dry, sensitive skin.
- It contains Vitamins B5 and E.
- The product is free from parabens, colourants, and mineral oil among other allergens.
When it comes to a diaper rash cream, the only aim is not to heal the redness and irritated skin on your baby’s diaper area – you also want it to have a soothing effect so that the child feels as little discomfort as possible. This cream is made with organic calendula extract among other things in a formula that is designed especially for dry, sensitive skin. It is also hypoallergenic and dermatologist-tested, while also being free from irritants and toxic elements. Overall, the best diaper rash creams for sensitive skin.
5. Burt’s Bees Diaper Rash Ointment – Best Diaper Rash Creams:
Directions for Use:
Change dirty diapers without delay. Once you have removed the dirty diaper and cleaned the area, allow it to dry. Then apply the cream, as much or as little as needed, and put a new diaper in place.
Active Ingredients: zinc oxide 40%
Inactive Ingredients: prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (sweet almond) oil, beeswax, lanolin, Ricinus communis (castor) seed oil, Simmondsia Chinensis (jojoba) seed oil, Butyrospermum parkii (shea) butter, glyceryl resonate, Olea Europaea (olive) fruit oil, hydrogenated castor oil, Olea Europaea (olive) oil unsaponifiables, anthemis nobilis flower oil, Lavandula angustifolia (lavender) flower, Lavandula hybrida oil, calendula Officinalis flower extract, Rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, tocopherol, glycine soja (soybean) oil, canola oil.
- This cream is 100% natural – this means that it is free from artificial elements that can be harmful to your child’s health.
- It contains 40% zinc oxide, which is highly effective when it comes to treating a rash.
- It doesn’t only treat a rash but also prevents it from happening in the first place.
- Shea butter, lavender oil, and jojoba seed oil play a role in keeping the skin moisturized, nourished, and healthy.
- It absorbs naturally in the skin and keeps it soft, dry, and extremely comfortable so your baby remains happy.
- The manufacturer claims that it is non-irritating to the skin.
- The product does not contain any phthalates, parabens, petrolatum, or SLS.
- The product is pediatrician-tested and guaranteed to be safe and effective.
The best natural diaper rash cream, it has a 100% natural formula that does not contain any harmful elements such as phthalates, petrolatum, parabens, or SLS – it is perfect for your baby’s sensitive skin. What’s more is that it contains 40% zinc oxide, which is essential for the rash to heal. On top of that, it contains ingredients that have a great moisturizing effect and nourishes the skin in every way. While some parents are not completely satisfied with the new formula, others swear by this cream. It is one of the best diaper rash creams for newborns, as well as for older babies.
6. Babo Botanicals Soothing Diaper – Best Non-Toxic Cream:
Directions for Use:
When it is time to change the baby’s diaper, clean your child’s bottom then apply a generous amount of the cream before you put on a new diaper.
Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil*, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil*, Zinc Oxide, Orbignya Oleifera (Babassu) Seed Oil*, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) Fruit, Cera Flava (Natural Beeswax), Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Oil, Natural Fragrance, Calendula (Calendula Officinalis) Flower Extract*, Nutri Soothe Herbal Infusion [Olea Europaea ((Extra Virgin) Olive) Fruit Oil*, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil*, Matricaria Recutita (Chamomile (German)) Flower Extract*, Nasturtium Officinale (Watercress) Extract, Pueraria Lobata (Kudzu) Root Extract*], Polyglyceryl-3 Beeswax, Hydrogenated Castor Oil (Castor Wax), Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Styrax Tonkinensis (Benzoin Siam) Resin Extract, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract.
*Certified organic ingredients.
- The product contains 25% non-nano zinc oxide which helps prevent a rash so that it doesn’t get to the point where it needs to be treated.
- The formula is made up of numerous soothing ingredients so that any discomfort your baby feels is minimized.
- The cream plays a role in sealing in moisture so that your child’s skin doesn’t become dry and flaky.
- That also helps it heal quickly and effectively. Colloidal oatmeal and organic calendula are good for sensitive skin.
- Pediatrician-tested and recommended for sensitive skin.
- The cream does not contain toxic elements.
- This includes gluten, soy, dairy, peanuts, almonds, walnuts, SLS, sulfates, parabens, phthalates, dyes, synthetic fragrances, sodium chloride, formaldehyde, MEA, DEA, TEA, and most common allergens.
- It is safe for use with a cloth diaper – it does not stain.
- The product is cruelty-free.
As we just mentioned, some people complain that the scent is a little overpowering, but if you can get past that, this is a wonderful cream for you and your baby. Because after all, a happy baby means a happy you. Made from natural, soothing ingredients that are non-toxic in nature, it is just what you need to heal your little one’s broken, irritated skin or better yet, prevent a rash in the first place. It is pediatrician-tested and is guaranteed to be gentle on your baby’s skin. All in all, a great natural option for the little love of your life.
7. Honest Diaper Rash Cream – Best for Dry Skin:
Directions for Use:
Clean and dry the diaper area, after which you can apply the cream (as much as needed) before putting a new diaper on your baby
Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil*, Beeswax*, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil*, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Cocos, Nucifera (Coconut) Oil*, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil*, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil*, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Oil*, Calophyllum Inophyllum (Tamanu) Seed Oil*, Tocopherol (Non-GMO), Salvia Sclarea (Clary) Oil, Geraniol, Linalool
*Certified Organic Ingredient *Organic Ingredient.
- Made with certified organic ingredients, it makes sure no harmful artificial substances come into contact with your baby’s skin.
- This cream is hypoallergenic, which means it is great for your baby’s sensitive skin.
- It soothes irritated skin by forming a protective barrier between the skin and a diaper or cloth among other things.
- It contains non-nano Zinc oxide which helps with redness and soreness.
- The formula contains many ingredients that help moisturize and nourish the skin.
- These include organic shea butter, as well as jojoba and coconut oils among many other things.
- It is free from mineral oil, artificial scents, parabens, petrolatum, silicones, lanolin, and PEGs.
- This product is physician-tested. The cream is NSF-certified.
- It is cruelty-free.
This hypoallergenic cream that is also free from toxic substances is made from organic ingredients which makes sure that your baby gets the most natural care which is, obviously, the best for them. It also has a moisturizing formula that keeps your little one’s skin healthy and nourished while also forming a layer over their skin so that they don’t get a rash. And if they already have one, it gets healed without getting worse in any way. Overall, a great cream, just a little on the pricier side.
8. Weleda Calendula Diaper Rash – Best Diaper Rash Creams for Broken Skin:
Directions for Use:
Apply a layer to the diaper area once you have removed the old diaper and cleaned the area. Then put a new diaper on your baby.
Cera Alba (Beeswax), Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract (Calendula Flower Extract), Chamomilla Recutita Flower Extract (Chamomile Flower Extract), Glyceryl Linoleate, Lanolin Hectorite (wool wax), Lavandula Angustifolia Oil (Lavender Oil), Rosmarinus Officinalis Leaf Oil (Rosemary Leaf Oil), Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis Oil Salvia (Sweet Almond Oil), Officinalis Oil (Sage Oil), Sesamum Indicum Seed Oil (Officinalis Oil), Aqua (Water).
- The cream treats diaper rash while also preventing it from happening in the first place.
- It contains lanolin and pharmaceutical-grade zinc oxide which form a protective film over the baby’s skin that prevents it from being in constant contact with water.
- Calendula is also a primary component – it has a soothing effect so that your baby can feel at ease.
- The cream does not contain any synthetic preservatives, fragrances, colourants or raw materials derived from mineral oils among other things.
- The product is certified natural by NATRUE.
- The cream is dermatologically tested and suitable for sensitive skin.
- It can be used with cloth diapers.
This cream has been made using some of the finest ingredients, making sure that is gentle on your baby’s sensitive skin. With calendula being one of its major components, you can rest assured that your little one’s skin will remain well-nourished. On top of that, the zinc oxide keeps it healthy and free from all sorts of rashes and irritation. It has been dermatologically tested and has been proven to be safe and effective. It is one of the best diaper rash creams for broken skin and open sores, as well as otherwise.
9. Baza Moisture Barrier Antifungal – Best Diaper Rash Creams for Yeast:
Directions for Use:
Clean the diaper area every time you change your baby’s diaper and apply a thin layer to it.
Active ingredient: Miconazole Nitrate, 2%
Inactive ingredients: BHT, cetearth-6, cetyl alcohol, cod liver oil, Diazolidinyl urea, fragrance, glyceryl stearate, lanolin oil, PEG-100 stearate, petrolatum, polmethoxybicyclic oxazolidine, propylene glycol, water, stearyl alcohol, tocopheryl acetate, zinc oxide.
- This cream does just what it promises – it creates a barrier between your little one’s gentle skin and any moisture from the diaper, including that resulting from exposure to urine and stool.
- and healthy.
Miconazole Nitrate plays a role in stopping fungal growth and, hence, reducing inflammation. It is not recommended to use this product on a child under 2 years of age unless it has been recommended by a doctor. It contains skin conditioners that make sure the skin remains moisturized
This is the best diaper rash cream for yeast infection or fungal infection and the rash that results from it. It stops fungal growth, thus preventing it from irritating your baby’s skin. On top of that, it has a moisturizing formula that is soft and soothing on the skin. However, it does contain fragrances and some other elements that can act as irritants, especially on a baby’s skin that is already chaffed and sore. But while it has given some parents trouble, others have found it to be a lifesaver. So you can definitely give it a try but be sure to discontinue use if it turns out that it doesn’t help your child.
10. A&D Diaper Rash Ointment:
Directions for Use:
Apply to your baby’s bottom every time you change their diaper but make the skin is clean and dry first.
For adults: When you want to use it on your own skin, you can apply and rub it in as and when you please.
Inactive Ingredients: aloe barbadensis extract, benzyl alcohol, coconut oil, cod liver oil (contains vitamin A & vitamin D), fragrance, glyceryl oleate, light mineral oil, ozokerite, paraffin, propylene glycol, sorbitol, synthetic beeswax, water.
Ingredients: Lanolin 15.5% (diaper rash ointment), petrolatum 53.4% (skin protectant), cod liver oil (contains vitamin A & vitamin D), fragrance, light mineral oil, microcrystalline, wax, paraffin
- It heals diaper rash so that your baby can be at peace. But that’s not at all – regular use prevents a rash from occurring in the first place. The cream does this using a combination of lanolin and petrolatum among other things.
- It contains vitamins
- or phthalates.
A and D. It is easy to apply and so does not cause any pain or discomfort on already sore skin. It forms a layer between the skin and moisture, that results from exposure to urine and stool in the case of a diaper rash, so as to prevent or heal a rash. The product is pediatrician-recommended, which means that it is perfectly safe for your baby’s skin. This cream is great for sensitive skin. The product does not contain any dyes, parabens,
This diaper rash cream for babies works wonders by keeping your baby’s skin away from moisture, even though it might seem to be in direct contact with it. Made with ingredients that are soothing on the skin and have healing capabilities, it is also free from all sorts of toxic elements. And because it is great for sensitive skin, it is one of the best creams for eczema, as well as diaper rash and many other things. Overall a great product that can be used not only on the baby’s bottom but by the rest of the family too – the best diaper rash cream for adults and children!
Now that you’ve looked at the ingredients, features, and pros and cons of each of the diaper creams in detail, it is time to go back to a question we left unanswered:
Which Cream is Best for Diaper Rash?
Let’s discuss our top pick!
We choose the Aquaphor Baby Healing Ointment! Why?
Well, for starters, this hypoallergenic, dermatologist-tested cream is perfect for your baby’s diaper area. It clears up a rash really quickly, while also preventing one from forming in the first place by protecting the skin from exposure to wetness and acidity. Free from parabens, dyes, fragrances, and other harmful chemicals, it is perfectly suitable for your baby’s sensitive skin. But that’s not all – the other members of your family can use it too for cuts, scrapes, irritated skin anywhere on the body, dry cuticles, and much more. And all of this at a very reasonable price! It really is the best diaper rash cream available in the market today!