Chicco was founded in 1958 by an Italian inventor and gradually grew into a massive company selling its products across 120 countries. Chicco offers a range of baby gear and includes things like car seats, toys, clothes, shoes, nursing products and toys more.
Italy is known for producing high-quality products and Chicco does not fall short of expectations on that front. Quality and style combined, the company never fails to deliver stylish and practical products for their target audience.
In this article, we will review the Chicco Keyfit 30 Car Seat and give you all the information you need to make an informed purchase decision. You may be wondering about convertible all-in-one car seats at this point.
Though the convertible car seats can support your baby for longer with forward-facing, rear-facing, and booster seat modes, it is important to note that securing an infant in the recommended rear-facing position does not work well because, often time, the seat is a little too big for a new-born baby and does not provide the right amount of support for an infant’s fragile neck and head.
This is a major reason why it is a good idea to opt for an infant car seat during the early stage of your child’s life. After a while, when your child has grown a bit, you can get the all-in-one car seat that has a much longer useful life. Now, let us take a look at the Chicco Keyfit 30 car seat features.
The Chicco KeyFit 30 Infant Car Seat Key Features
- The Chicco car seat is ideal for premature babies.
- The car seat comes with a 5-point harness system that allows you to secure your baby in position.
- The Chicco car seat is lined with EPS foam that will absorb the shock of an impact if you get into an accident.
- The Chicco car seat has a buckle that is easy to secure.
- The car seat has LATCH connections that make the seat relatively easier to use.
- The adjustable LATCH strap allows your baby to be snug and safe in the chair during rides.
- To ensure that the seat is installed on the proper angle, the Chicco car seat has a bubble level.
- The Chicco car seat is relatively easy to clean and the covers are machine-washable.
- The car seat is compatible with strollers as well.
- The recommended weight and size limits for the Chicco Keyfit car seat are as follows:
With the newborn insert, the seat supports a weight range of 4 to 11 pounds
Without the newborn insert, the seat supports babies in the range of 11 to 20 pounds
Also check out: Best Travel Systems Review
Chicco Keyfit Infant Car Seat Dimensions
Infant seats normally do not take up much space and can easily fit in vehicles, unlike their all-in-one counterparts. The Chico car seat is lightweight and easy to carry. It is only 17 inches wide.
If you have already had a few car seats in the back, then you may have trouble fitting the Chicco in there as well. The seat may be a bit big, however, for some of the tiny fuel-efficient cars or electric cars. Take a look at the Chicco car seat dimensions below so that you can gauge whether this product will be the right fit or not.
- Car seat weight: 9.6 pounds – mid-range compared to others on the market
- Car seat Dimensions: 17 x 27.5 x 24 inches
Chicco Keyfit 30 Car Seat Review
Does the Chicco Keyfit 30 Infant Car Seat Score High in Terms of Safety?
Your baby’s safety and security are the most important things when it comes to any car seat. Does the Chicco car seat come out as one of the top rated infant car seats? We can take a look at its safety features to determine that. The Chicco car seat has undergone crash tests and has come out in the top five for crash testing. The seat did particularly well in tests for head injuries and thanks to the EPS shock absorbing foam, the seat surpassed federal safety standards. Turn out that the Chicco car seat provides just the support a fragile newborn baby needs and even provided the necessary protection in case of an accident or side impact.
The seat is also FAA compliant and can be switched from ground to air and vice versa without a hassle
Issues to note:
Check if your seat is properly in position or not
Certain users of the Chicco car seat have expressed how they had a hard time tightening the shoulder straps to secure their baby. Users have also mentioned that simply hearing one click may not be enough to assume that car seat is secure in its position; you may have to press down harder. And then if you hear another click, that is an indication that the seat is in position. To make sure that the seat is properly in place, we suggest giving it a good tug to check if remains in its position or not. With that, you and your little one will all set for a new adventure
Chicco car seat users have also noted that the seat’s fabric is not great for summer time as it is not very breathable. Make sure you do not dress your little one too warmly because the baby will get hot, sweaty and uncomfortable really fast.
Inadequate canopy coverage
Some parents have also noted that the Chicco car seat’s canopy does not cover their baby properly form the sun. It would be a good idea to use a thin blanket to compensate for the canopy’s shortcomings or just be sure to use shades in for your car window.
Now that we have discussed the Chicco car seat and its features in thorough detail, let us take a look at some of the products pros and cons
Chicco Keyfit Car Seat Pros and Cons
- A reliable brand that has a good track record of producing quality products.
- The Chicco car seat is designed to be the perfect seat for infants and preemies.
- The adjustable recline angles, bubble levels, and latch make installation relatively easier.
- The seat is of small compact size; this makes it easy to store and carry.
- Meets FAA regulations and is compatible with strollers.
- Fabric is not breathable.
- Canopy does not provide full coverage.
- Some models have been recalled in the past. Make sure you do not buy one of the faulty seats while shopping for the product.
- It’s made in China.
- Is not perfectly secure without the base Users may have difficulty tightening the straps.
Though the Chicco car seat is a great option for those parents who are looking to find something specifically for infants or premature babies. The seat is comfortable and once installed properly is perfectly secure for your little one.
One of the things to consider is the fact that the fabric is not breathable. Keep this in mind if you plan on going for a long ride in the hotter months and dress your baby accordingly to combat the heat. If you want to browse some more options, take a look at some of the best top rated infant car seats of 2020.
Overall, this is a reliable product and will get your child through the early months of life with ease and comfort.