- My one-week of research and study for the top-rated best baby monitor concluded with a decision to purchase Infant Optics DXR-8 for $165. This non-WiFi device is difficult to hack It keeps working 24/7 even when there is no connectivity.
- The tilt and pan remote control option let me change the camera position and angle with a simple button and without going into my baby’s room.
- Picture quality is great, and wide-angle lenses option with extra camera win me over.
- It is an award-winning baby monitor of 2018 whose rating is 4.4 out of 5 stars. Almost 33100 customer reviews are available on Amazon, while more than 72 reviewers gave it a full five-star rating.
Our Rating: 9.5 / 10 Price: Check on Amazon
The Infant Optics DXR-8 Video Baby Monitor is the first baby monitor having an interchangeable optical lens.
You can now be able to choose the most appropriate focal length and seeing angle of the specific surroundings.
You can do so with three different types of lenses, Zoom, Normal, and Wide Angle.
All this works perfectly just like a professional cam system. The infant optics dxr-8 video baby monitor provides the crystal clear image.
The video is displayed in real-time to a 3.5 inch LCD color display.
To provide you with the additional convenience, this monitor is packed with a rota of advanced features such as infrared night vision, remote camera pan/tilt, room-temperature sensor, talk-back function and a lot more. The Infant Optics dxr8 Camera is an investment that grows with your kin.
To get an intimate vision of your child, you can use a close-up lens. To get the full vision of the kid when he/she becomes more mobile, you can simply swap to a panoramic lens.
Why Did I Select Infant Optics Dxr-8?
Full Disclosure, I’m a mother who doesn’t buy a baby product just because it looks good. You can categorize me under a list of those conscious or choosy Mamas who have keen detective eyes when it comes to getting something for their baby safety. Now when we talk about best baby monitors, surprisingly there are tons of options out there.
I narrowed down my research by removing Wi-Fi baby monitors. The reason for excluding them is nothing but to get a monitor which can’t be hacked by anyone. I didn’t buy Infant Optics DXR-8 all of a sudden.
- I compared infant optics Dxr-8 with its competitor.
- I kept my preference and requirements on the table.
- I read verified customer reviews (not just on Amazon but also on other online websites).
- Last but not least, I asked around ( yes I talked with other moms and my friends who are already using it).
Yes, it might seem a lot of effort and brainstorming at first. However, this is how I extracted a gem from the pile of rocks for my precious baby. All that hard work totally worth it.
19 Cool Features of Infant Optics DXR-8 Video Baby Monitor:
The features of infant optics dxr 8 monitor are as follows:
- It is the very first baby monitor having an interchangeable optical lens. It allows for the customizable seeing angle and Zoom.
- It has a great battery life and can operate for 10 hours on power saving mode.
- Compact 3.5 inch LCD screen in a sleek unit having a sound activated LED display and a retractable antenna
- It comes with one optical zoom lens having a wide angle lens which is sold separately.
- Quick Set up
- World’s first monitor with interchangeable lens
- Temperature monitoring
- Secure Transmission
- Remote camera control
- Alarm system
- Two-way talk
- Audio Quality
- Good Reception
- Video Quality
- Ease of Use
- Battery Life
Read more: Do I Really Need a Baby Monitor?
Hassle Free Set up:
The whole set up was nothing but a breeze for me. Infant Optics Manual brings crystal clear details. It took me only 15 minutes to set up a camera in my sweetheart Katie’s room and to pair it up with the parent unit.
It is simple to use, plug and play device.
The whole setting and pairing process requires you to press a few buttons. The parent unit has buttons for every single operation. There are some shortcut buttons, as well. But I kept using the main buttons on the device.
Innovative Interchangeable Lens:
FYI, Infant Optics DXR-8 baby monitor is the first product with an interchangeable lens.
- There is a close-up lens which will let you zoom into your child’s facial expression and body.
- The panoramic lens becomes a utility when your child starts crawling, and you want to keep an eye on her activity.
- I often switch the standard lens to Zoom Lens so that I can have a close look at Katie’s face. Sometimes, during the night when I don’t want to wake her up but still want to see her beautiful face, then I tap on this feature. It satisfies me.
- Spend a little money and get an extra wide-angle lens which brings a crisp clear picture for you. I didn’t buy that lens because I was satisfied with its existing lens feature.
Mothers like me remained worried about room temperature where their babies are sleeping. So, a feature like a temperature monitoring comes to rescue us. It lets me monitor Katie’s room temperature without even going to her room or taking a risk of waking her up.
I am a bit sceptical about the accuracy of this monitor though. One day, It was showing a reading of 70 degrees Farheint, while in reality room temperature was 73 degree. Temperature accuracy is questionable.
This infant optics baby monitor doesn’t use Wi-Fi, but it uses secure 2.4 GHz FHSS wireless transmission. This transmission is safe. I watched a lot of crime series where hackers hack a wireless baby monitor and then try to make money by playing with parents’ emotions. So, here is why I love this baby monitor.
- A hacker can’t get access to it unless he decrypts signal which is nothing but an impossible task.
- From a safety point of view, I always prefer a baby monitor with radio signals. Even it is not just me, who considered it a good buying option. Just check Amazon and read reviews of other parents who skip Wi-Fi baby monitors due to its associated high risk of hacking.
- Another reason for picking a Radio signal baby Monitor is to get a non-stop connection. I can’t put my baby monitoring task at risk because of unstable Wi-Fi signals. If the signal goes down, so as the whole receiver and camera connection. I can’t live like with such an uncertain environment.
- I need peace of mind, and I could grab that with Infant Optics DXR-8 because it has continuous wireless connectivity in its pocket.
If you like to travel with your baby, then a baby monitor like Infant optics DXR-8 gives you a big favour. It allows you to keep the device with you in the hotel or wherever you go. It doesn’t rely on Wi-Fi. Therefore, you can have a stable connection once you quickly set it up.
Even when you are going to the dining room of the hotel then your baby can have her good night sleep. She won’t feel disturbed in another room while you are having a romantic dinner or conversation with your partner in another hotel room. This device is nothing but a Win-Win option for all parents.
Remotely Control Camera:
Many times, my friend says that I’m extra caring. I don’t want my baby to wake up due to noise, so I don’t watch TV at high volume. Many of you may already know that disturbing babies in their sleep means stay awake with them the whole night. Once they feel disturb, they need time and energy to sleep again. So, why take such a big risk?
As soon as I came to know about remote camera control from other mothers, deep down, I know it was something I need. There is no need to wake Katie from her sleep. Especially now, when I can remotely change camera direction and get the best viewing angle and picture.
Setting a schedule for your baby feeding and diet is a vital thing to do when you enter into parenting life. I set up an alert on the receiver unit, so it wakes me up when I need to feed Katie. Pretty handy assistant! Isn’t it?
Infant Optics DXR-8 monitor can support up to 4 add-on cameras. I have three rooms in my house. Setting one camera in her nursery room wasn’t enough. I decided to expand my baby monitoring system after six months when Katie started crawling.
I didn’t want her to stay in just one room. Therefore, I bought two extra cameras. So, wherever Katie is, I tap on the camera of that room. This system expandability makes it sustainable, indeed.
Two way Talk:
At times, when Katie started crying and I was cooking, then I made the most from the two-way talk option.
Many times my voice worked as a lollypop for my crying kid. However, at other times, I had to go to her room and see her. I won’t say it works all the time. But it helped me multiple times.
Better Audio Quality:
In my opinion, the sound quality of infant optics dxr-8 is average; it is like a maximum decibel level of 86 dB. While I was studying its competitors, I realized that its sound quality is somehow better. Sound is clear, and there are no annoying distortions.
To cut the background noise, you must set its parent unit at volume level 1 or 2 since it doesn’t offer sensitivity adjustments. Even it comes without a sound activation feature.
I am living in a house with three rooms, and I set the camera unit in a nursery room, which is 30 feet away from my bedroom. There are three walls between these two rooms. I don’t get a reception issue usually. But I experience distortion and bad signals troubles when I keep my smartphone near the receiver unit or turn on speakers.
Here is what you must keep in mind for getting good reception and signals from your infant optics baby monitor dxr-8:
- Average Indoor range: up to 60 feet and four walls
- Average Outdoor range: up to 645 feet
When you cross this range indoor or outdoor, then you will lose signals. So, try to stay within range to enjoy excellent performance.
I don’t need to visit Katie’s room from time to time, to change the direction of the camera. It feels great to have remote control pan, tilt and zoom control right from the parent/receiver unit. Menu button opens up fast-action controls through which I can set:
- a pan camera lens ( horizontal lens movement)
- A tilt camera lens (vertical lens movement )
- A zoom camera lens (for changing the focal length of a lens)
Do you know the best part? No need to go to the baby’s room again and again.
Average Video Quality:
If you are expecting high definition video quality from infant optics baby monitor, then you need to rethink. The fact is that this monitor comes with the below-average video quality. During the day, you get a good quality clear picture.
Night vision, on the other hand, brings a darker picture where sometimes the face of your baby is fuzzy. But feel panic when it happens. A quick fix comes in the form of Zoom features. It brings much-needed clarity into your pixelated picture.
Ease of Use:
When it comes to using infant optics baby monitor, there is no feature which requires you to act like a rocket scientist.
On parent unit you will find:
- A few and simple to use buttons.
- A shortcut button is designed for controlling volume and brightness.
- A menu button lets you take full control of the camera, its direction, zoom, tilt, temperature, and pane.
User-interface is clear-cut and offers smooth navigation.
Read more: Best Top Rated Crib Mattress
I was a bit concerned about infant optics dxr-8 battery life, but all my concerns left me alone with a device after a week of its use. I didn’t experience any issue with its battery. Once I fully charge the battery in 6 hours, it works 10 hours on standby mode.
When I keep the screen on, then the battery dies after 6.5 hours. Given that period, I can say that Infant optics designed this baby monitor with a reliable battery.
5 Must- have Infant Optics DXR-8 Accessories:
I bought two add-on cameras, an extra battery and adapter to make my unit more useful and effective with time. On the other hand, my friend grabbed a wide-angle lens and long charging cable for her home. Therefore, I’m in a position to offer you a quick review of 5 best accessories you can have to make the most from your infant optics baby monitor.
1. Infant Optics Dxr-8 Rechargeable Battery:
I got one from eBay, and it added an extra ounce of comfort into my life. After a year of constant use, I started getting some battery issues, so I replaced the old one with a new one. It instantly re-energized my monitor.
2. Infant Optics DXR-8 Wide Angle Lens:
When your kids become more mobile, then accessory like this becomes a necessity. When the son of my friend turned 13 months old, she badly needed a device to let her keep an eye on his activity. Thanks to God, she already had Infant optics dxr-8, so she bought a wide-angle lens,
- Designed with multi-layered glass lens pieces inside an aluminium housing
- Enjoy a must-have boost in baby monitory performance
- Wide range lens unlocks 170-degree panoramic view of the entire room
- Useful when you have Active babies and Kids
- Mount wide lens on camera unit in seconds
3. LANMU Weatherproof Long Charging Cable for Infant Optics DXR-8 Camera Unit with USB Charger (16.4ft/5m)
Infant optics dxr-8 camera comes with a short power code. Sometimes, you don’t have a power outlet nearby, and thereby quick set-up sounds difficult. Now with this long power cord, you can set up your camera wherever you like.
My friend got this because she doesn’t want her kids to often remove the switch of the camera from the power outlet. She installed an outlet away from the reach of children and then used this extended power code for proper and uninterrupted connection.
- Works only with the camera unit
- Non-Stop power supply
- No more short cord installation limitation
- Flat and thick design let it run from small gaps and windows with ease
- Brings a UL Certified USB Wall Charger, so you can set monitor where you like
- Lifetime warranty
- Unconditional 30-day money-back guarantee
- 180-day free replacement
4. Adjustable Angle Mount for Infant Optics DXR-8:
One of my friends bought an Infant Optics camera mount to get a clear view and angle. She wants to get flexible positioning for the camera. Therefore she decided in favour of the wall camera mount.
- Easy to Install: secure the mount with given tools. No complex fasteners to work with.
- Safe to use: your device won’t fall as mount comes with 3M sticker and one tight screw.
- Adjustable, so let you position camera in any position.
- Sturdy: Mount is made of durable aluminium alloy
- Risk-free shipping: You can avail 30-day refund policy
- Bright appearance: Let you set your camera at the correct angle,
5. Infant Optics DXR-8 Add-On Camera Unit:
When Katie became active, I bought two add-on cameras for my other two rooms. I want her to move around the home, not just stay in the nursery.
- Additional cameras worked precisely like my existing camera unit.
- I can cover monitor my baby in a full house with ease
- No need to set one camera in different rooms.
- I can remotely change the direction of any of them.
- Set cameras in different rooms, switch one camera to another for a quick monitoring session
- Interchangeable optical lenses inside each camera allow me to pan, tilt or zoom camera as and when I need.
Read more: When Should I Stop Using a Baby Monitor?
Infant Optics dxr8 Monitor At A Glance:
Baby monitoring cameras can be very helpful for parents who cannot be around all the time. Now let’s take a glance at the pros and cons of Infant Optics DXR8 Baby Monitor:
- Best video quality
- Beeping warning
- Audio on, screen off mode
- Sound activated the LCD display
- Remote tilt/pan control
- Two-way talk
- Temperature monitoring
- Solid battery life
- No high-definition screen resolution
- A bit costly
If you are going to have a bay very soon, then you must have this infant optics dxr-8 video baby monitor with interchangeable optical lens. This baby monitor also comes with the night vision mode so that you can keep an eye on your kid at night as well. When you purchase this product you will not have to do any kind of setting; just plugin, and it is ready to use. It also comes with the alarm function which can be very handy in some situations.
Infant Optics Dxr-8 is a reliable baby monitor which brings a good picture and sound quality. You can keep an eye on your baby while she is asleep. Real remote pan, tilt and zoom features of interchangeable camera lenses offer you peace of mind; no need to disturb your sleeping beauty. The night vision is good.
It might not have a Wi-Fi application, but it inevitably brings the ultimate safety net for your baby. In case you want something advanced with a significant amount of features then I recommend you have a look at my best baby monitors of 2020 buyers guide. It unlocks you many other alternatives of infant optics Dxr-8. But if you need something practical, with fewer features and more ease, then no one can beat dxr-8.
The Infant Optics DXR-8 monitor would be the best choice you can ever make to keep an eye on the kids and keep them safe.
Infant Optics Video Baby Monitor DXR-8: Most Frequently Asked Questions:
Don’t Go Anywhere. I am going to provide answers of most frequently asked questions about Infant Optics DXR-8. Anything which I missed above, is available below. Do you mind having a look?
Can the Infant Optics DXR 8 be hacked?
This device has minimal security breach risk because it employs an encrypted FHSS radio signal. Hacker can’t hack Infant optics Dxr-8 through your Wi-Fi connection. First, he should be within your signal range for hacking and second, he needs to decrypt the secure signals. Both situations are quite impossible.
Does Infant Optics DXR 8 use WIFI?
No, this baby monitor uses a radio signal. It is not based on wireless connectivity.
Does Infant Optics DXR 8 have an app?
Since it is a radio signal device which doesn’t use Wi-Fi, therefore, there is no iPhone or other application available with DXR-8 baby monitor. You can’t make a pair of your baby monitor with an Android device through an app. If you want to pair up monitor with your smartphone, then you need to buy a Wi-Fi Baby monitor.
How long does infant optics dxr 8 battery last?
Infant Optics battery gets charged fully in 7 hours. You can use the battery for more than 10 hours while keeping the screen on standby. When the screen is on, then the battery of infant optics last up to six hours.
How to change the viewing camera when using multiple cameras with the Infant Optics DXR-8?
On your parent monitor, you see an “OK” button. Press it, and you would be able to change the viewing camera.
How to connect the parent unit with my newly purchased DXR-8 camera?
Underneath your camera unit, you can see a “PAIR” key. Press and hold it. LED Light will turn into green. It is a signal that your camera is in pairing mode.
In your Camera Unit, you can see a new camera appears at the Add Camera menu. Select the new camera. In this way, you successfully pair a new Dxr-8 camera with the parent unit.
Is it possible to hear audio from all the cameras simultaneously?
No, it is not possible. At one time, you can hear the audio from one camera. Fortunately, you can switch the camera from the parent unit as and when you required. There is an Auto Switch option which rotates cams automatically; you can tap on it when you want to hear audio of your all cameras one by one.
Does the Infant Optics DXR-8 have an iPhone App?
Infant Optics DXR-8 is not a Wi-Fi baby monitor. It is based on Radio signal technology. Therefore, you don’t get an iPhone app via which you can pair your smartphone with a baby monitor.
Can I activate DXR-8 screen through my voice?
No, this device is not featured with VOX mode per se. There is a sleep mode which automatically turns off-screen after a set time, while the audio remains ON. In case you hear some noise then you can manually turn on video.
Can I get a range extender for Infant Optics DXR-8?
Unfortunately, there is no range extender available for infant Optics DXR-8. But the good news is that it is among those baby monitors which are designed with the best possible range. In case you still in search of a long-range baby monitor then I recommend you to go for a Wi-Fi monitor. You can quickly add a boost into the tour home Wi-Fi network with the installation of a relay antenna.
Does Infant Optics DXR-8 display accurate room temperature?
Answer: No. it doesn’t offer accurate temperature measurement. I performed a test in which it was showing room temperature as 26 Celsius while it was 30. It shows a temperature a few degrees below the actual temperature. If you have a concern regarding room temperature, then you can consider buying other best baby monitors, which offers you a high amount of accuracy in terms of temperature measurement.
Is There Split-Screen Option available with Infant Optics DXR-8?
No. you can see one camera at a time. Your baby monitor supports up to four cameras. But you can see them all one by one. There is no split-screen mode in this device.
Why does my infant optics monitor beep?
When the battery of your monitor is critically low, then you hear beeping sound.
Can I speak to All Camera at Once?
No, you can speak to one camera at one time. There is a two-way feature available which activates for one camera. Your voice goes to only one camera which you pick from the menu.
Can I buy a separate Camera for Infant Optics DXR-8?
Yes, Parent Monitor supports up to four cameras. So, you can buy additional cameras to set with this unit.
Can I make a pair of one camera with two receivers?
No, it is not possible. Infant Optics Dxr-8 monitor can be paired with four cameras; there is no other way around connection possibility.
How do you change the temperature on a baby optics camera?
You need to press and hold “Shortcut button” for 3 seconds, and its Celsius temperature unit will be turned into Fahrenheit.
Does Infant Optics baby monitor come with a warranty?
Yes, it comes with a one-year standard warranty. It is good to recheck warranty info from the customer care department. You can either call them or send an email. They are very responsive and cooperative. They will respond to your query as quickly as possible.
How Can I contact with Infant Optics Customer Service?
You can contact customer service via email or a phone call.
Customer service number :(800) 291-0195.
Email address: email@example.com
You will get a response from the Infant Optics customer care department generally within 24-48 hours.