The Diono Rainier is one a convertible seat that allows your child to ride in the rear-facing mode and accommodates babies up to 50 pounds. We will review in this post is an updated version brought to you by the brand that is known for high-quality, durable products.
In this post, we will cover the most important facts and features about the seat and also some parent’s opinions, so that you can decide if this seat is right for your baby or not.
It Meets the American Academy of Pediatrics’ Recommendations
Although this may not be the norm in other countries around the world, in the USA, the American Academy of Pediatrics advises that children should be kept in the rare-facing mode for at least two years. The thing is that some seats are not able to support a child in rear-facing mode for such a long time, but with this recommendation, seat manufacturers have started to innovate designs so that babies up to 2 years old can ride in rear-facing mode with ease. The Diono convertible car seat allows you to follow the American Academy of Pediatrics’ advice with ease. In some countries like Sweden, where child fatality rates are very low, parents keep their little ones in the rear-facing mode for even longer, up to 4 years of age. It is evident that keeping a child in this configuration is in their best interest.
Diono Rainier Convertible Car Seat – Product Features
The Diono Rainier car seat can be thought of as a long-term investment. Since the seat is convertible and can support the considerable weight (which we will discuss a little later) it lasts as your baby goes through several growth spurts. With the Diono car seat, you will not have to go out and shop for another baby car seat in a year or two. This seat will support your child as he or she grows as the months go by.
Important Diono Rainier features
The Diono car seat is the travel companion that will support your little one in as they grow. The seat can support children from 5 pounds up to 120 pounds. The multiple eat configurations give this seat a long useful life
Seat Configurations and weight limits:
- The extended rear-facing mode has can support babies from 5 to 50 lbs and the height range for this position is 44 inches. The rear-facing mode helps your baby to remain in the most secure traveling position for longer, at least until the recommended age of two years as recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics.
- The forward-facing mode is suitable for children up to 65 pounds in the 5-point harness and has a height range of 57 inches.
- The booster mode is suitable for kids starting at 50 pounds and (according to the manufacturer) can support babies up to 120 pounds. The height range for this mode is 47-50 inches. Some believe that this 120-pound capacity is an overestimation. It is something to consider before buying.
The Diono car seat is portable and great for family’s that love to travel and are always on the go.
The seat can easily fold up for storage or for when you need to carry it and is certified to be used in harness mode on an aircraft
The Diono car seat is on the heavier side (26.79 pounds or 29 pounds-estimations vary from different sources), this weight is due to the fact that the seat is reinforced with a steel frame that is then wrapped in sturdy plastic that can withstand severe impact from crashes.
Side walls are lined with aluminum for further protection, particularly form side impacts.
The seat is cushioned with a special energy-absorbing EPS foam, this cradles your child and secures him or her from absorbing shock in case of an accident.
The Diono car seat design is sleek so that you have plenty of room for other passengers in the back
The Diono car seat is equipped with a SuperLatch system. This makes installation relatively easier.
The rubber bottom provides grip so that the seat does not just slip out of position while you are trying to install it in its position
The Diono car seat has expandable sides and infant memory foam provides maximum comfort for your child.
The long seat design offers good leg support, too
The Diono car seat has 12 adjustable height positions for head support.
The car seat has a lifespan of 10 years.
The Diono car seat’s cover is machine washable.
Diono Rainier Dimensions to Check Vehicle Compatibility
The Dion Rainer car seat has a narrow profile and thus leaves plenty of room in the back seat. But because of its length, the front passenger may not be left with much legroom, especially if the seat is positioned in the rear-facing mode.
- Another thing to note is the fact that the seat is considerably heavy. Its weight is close to 30 pounds. And even though the seat can fold up and is portable, the weight makes it quite a challenge to carry.
- Seat weight is approximately 30 pounds (some sources claim 26.79 pounds while others claim it is 29.79 pounds)
- Diono car seat width, at the widest point, is 18.5 inches
- Car seat depth is 9.5 inches
- Car seat height is 24.5 inches
- Harness position range is from 8 to 16.5 inches
Note: For comparable Diono seats such as the Diono Radian RXT, Radian R120, and the Radian R100, each is about a pound lighter than the others (in the order listed).
The Diono car seat can fit in most vehicles in the forward-facing position. But if you think you may have difficulty installing it in the rear-facing mode, then the manufacturers recommend purchasing a Diono Angle Adjuster. This is supposed to help adjust the seat in such a way that it provides more room for the front passenger. The Angle Adjuster can only be used if your baby has complete head and neck control. The seat offers the best value for money.
How Does the Diono Rainier Car Seat Measure up in Terms of Safety and Security?
The Diono car seat is on the heavier side because it is reinforced with a steel frame and has aluminum in the sidewalls for side impact protection. This makes the seat heavy and study. The upper part of the Diono car seat has a SafeStop feature that dissipates force in the event of a crash so that your baby remains secure.
The EPS energy absorbing foam offers added protection and padding to the seat.
Check Also: Best Infant Car Seats of 2019 Buyers Guide
The seat has been thoroughly tested and has proved to be a great option for the little ones. You must make sure to install the seat correctly to ensure your child’s safety.
Installing the Diono Rainier
The thing about most convertible car seats is that no they are a bit of a hassle to install. People have shared their experience (especially first-time parents and car seat users) and have expressed difficulty in properly installing the seat. The good thing about the SuperLatch system is once the seat is installed properly, it is super safe and secure; so you will not have to worry once the difficult task is accomplished.
Another thing that can be problematic is the narrow belt patch for installation in the rear-facing mode. This makes threading the belt extremely cumbersome. It is much easier to adjust in the belt strap in the forward-facing mode though.
Some users have also expressed dissatisfaction with the stubborn crotch strap.
Diono Car Seat Pros and Cons
- The Diono car seat’s rear-facing mode allows extended use in the rear-facing position.
- The different modes have good weight and height ranges.
- The steel and aluminum reinforced structure make the seat sturdy and durable.
- Memory foam makes the seat comfortable for the baby.
- The seat can fold flat and can be stored with ease.
- The seat has a narrow profile and allows plenty of room in the back seat for passengers or even another seat.
- The headrest can be adjusted to 12 positions.
- Is great for travel and is certified to be used on aircraft.
- The SuperLatch ensure the seat is secured in place safely.
- The seat is approximately 30 pounds. Though it has a portable design, the weight makes it a heavy load to carry.
- The belt path is narrow and hard to adjust, especially in the rear-facing position.
- The crotch positions are quite rigid and difficult to adjust.
- It can be difficult to install in some vehicles.
- Seat belt is not very secure in booster mode.
- No built-in
- To many installation steps that are hard to follow. This makes the whole process daunting.
- Comes with a hefty price tag.
- The seat is made in China.
For parents looking for a seat that will last, this is a good option. You can use the seat with its three modes for an extended period of time without the need to purchase another one as your child grows up. The sturdy chair can withstand crashes and protects its passenger well. The weight also helps to keep the seat in its position.
The difficult installation directions for the Diono car seat can be daunting. This makes installing the seat a bit of a challenge. Once properly installed though, the seat is perfectly secure.
The Diono car seat is narrow but due to its length, the person in the front seat may end up crapped and would not have much legroom.
An important thing to note is that the seat may be too big for infants and may not be able to provide the support the small babies need at that fragile stage in life.
The Diono car seat may be foldable but its weight still makes it difficult to carry around.
Overall, the Diono car seat is a good investment. It does cost a pretty penny but certainly has a much longer useful life.