An idea focused on a child’s safety was turned into a multimillion-dollar business as Lerner founded Safety 1st to ensure that parents can provide a secure environment for their little. The company was incorporated in 1984, and to think it all started with a yellow sign that said ‘Baby on Board’.
In this article, we will review the Safety 1st Grow and Go 3-in-1 convertible car seat. We will help you assess the product so that you can see if it meets your requirements and how it stacks up against other similar products on the market.
What Is So Special about Safety 1st Grow?
A proper seat for your little one is essential for a safe and comfortable journey in the family vehicle. The options you have to choose from, essentially, are infant car seats and convertible car seats. The infant seat can hold babies up to 30 pounds and are always rear facing. Once your child grows out of the weight limit, the seat’s useful life ends there.
The convertible seat, on the other hand, is more adaptable and has a longer useful life. They can be used as a rear-facing seat, and then, once your baby grows up a bit, you can change it into a forward facing seat that can support up to 90 pounds of weight
The Safety 1st Grow and Go is a 3-in-1 convertible seat takes things a step further by being a rear-facing seat that supports up to 40 pounds; a forward-facing seat that supports up to 65 pounds and, finally, the back of the seat can be easily removed to transfer the Safety 3-in-1 into a belt-positioning booster seat that can support a whopping 100 pounds.
Check also: Graco 4ever All-in-One Car Seat Review
Check out the complete review of safety first grow and go car seat.
Safety 1st Grow and Go 3-in-1 Convertible Car Seat Review
Wondering which option is the best for you?
If you are looking for something specifically suited to a newborn or a first time parent, then you might be better off with an infant seat as it is widely believed to be the safest option for babies.
If your browsing for something for your toddler, then you might find the convertible seat most suitable.
The Safety 3-in-1 seat adapts to your growing baby so you will be able to use it for much longer and will not have to purchase another seat as a replacement.
If you have decided on a convertible seat for your baby, it is important to note that you should look for a 5-point harness and the seat’s overall ease of use. The security measures will protect the baby in case of an accident.
If you are on a budget, the Safety Go and Grow would be a sound investment, as you will not have to spend more money to buy another seat as soon as your little baby starts to grow.
Is your car more on the compact size?
If that is the case then the Safety 1st 3-in-1 may not easily fit in the vehicle. You will have to check for legroom in the front seat when you place the Safety Go and Grow at the back.
Check also: Graco Extend2fit Convertible Car Seat Review
If you tend to switch cars a lot, then it is worth noting that the base of the convertible seat makes it a little difficult to move from one car to another on a regular basis.
The Safety 1st Grow and Go 3-in-1 Defining Features
As we have discussed, there are various options for baby seats on the market.
The abundance of choice can make it difficult to zero in on a particular product, this can leave you torn as to what is the product that suits your needs in particular.
Read more: Best Baby Walker for Carpet
In this section of the Safety 1st grow and go 3-in-1 review, we will take a brief look at some of the product’s key features that set it apart from other baby car seats and establish whether the Safety 1st grow car seat is the safest convertible car seat available on the market or not.
- A level line guide parents how to position this car seat
- You can install either latch or seat belt for rear-facing position installation
- Removable seat covers can be cleaned as and when you want
- QuickFit Harness makes it so eays to adjust headrest and harness simultaneously
- Want to get child out or in of this car seat with comfort, let Harness Hold keep Straps away from your child.
- No-rethread 5 position harness
- Separate newborn position which requires rethreading
- For better neck and head support use infant insert
- Lifespan of Safety first Grow and Go is ten years
- IHS ( Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) gave Safety 1st “Good Bet” rating
- A 5-Point Harness
Has a 5-point harness for added security that will protect your baby in case of side collision.
2. Neck and Head Support
For newborn babies, there is ample head and neck support.
Read more: Best Baby Formulas
3. Removable and Machine-Washable Seat Cover
In case of spillage, you will be glad to know that the seat cover is removable and can be washed in a washing machine.
4. Removable Straps and Seat Pad
For when you really need to thoroughly clean the Safety 1st Go and Grow after a wild mess, you will be able to remove the straps and seat pads and get into the corners to get the gunk out.
5. 3-Point Recline
The Safety 1st Go and Grow has 3 recline positions for comfort and relaxation.
6. Easy to Set Up and Install
The Safety1st Go and Grow helps you with positioning thanks to a level line that serves as a guide.
7. Safety First Car Seat Ratings
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) rated the Safety 1st Go and Grow like a ‘Good Bet’.
In the rear-facing position, the seat can be used with a seat belt. Adjust the headrest and harness simultaneously with the QuickFit harness.
9. Harness Holders to Secure Unruly Children
For those days when your children are just not cooperating and will contort as much as they can to avoid being settled into the car seat, you will find the harness holders helpful to get them secured in the seat.
Read more: Best Infant Crib Mattress
10. Built-In Cup Holders
The Safety 1st 3-in-1car seat has 2 built-in cup holders so your little one enjoy a drink on a long drive.
11. Safety 1st Convertible Car Seat Will Last a Decade
The Safety 1st Go and Grow adapts as your child grows and will not get obsolete too fast. The seat also has a 10-year lifespan, so you will be able to use it if you plan on having another baby soon.
12. Weight Recommendations for the Safety
- Rare facing minimum and maximum weight support: 5 pounds to 40 pounds
- Front-facing minimum and maximum weight support: 22 pounds to 65 pounds
- Booster seat maximum weight limit: 100 pounds
13. Crash Tested
The trait that most people would consider crucial from a company like Safety 1st is, well, safety! The Safety 1st Grow meets the federal standards that are to be met for the item to sell in the US. It has been crash tested according to demonstrate that the seat meets the set requirements.
What are the child size ranges for the Safety 1st 3-in-1 convertible car seat?
|1) Rear Facing||5-40 lbs||19-40 inches|
|2) Forward Facing||22-65 lbs||29-49 inches|
|3) High Back Booster||40-100 lbs||43-52 inches|
* Note that there are other Grow and Go car seat models, including the Grow and Go Air Sport and the Grow and Go EX Air. They have identical weight limits, except for the EX Air. In the rear-facing position, the EX Air has a weight range from 5 – 50 lbs instead of 5 – 40. They also tend to be more expensive than the original Grow and Go.
Is it Safe to Use Safety 1st Grow Convertible Car Seat?
Safety First Go and Grow 3-in-1 is approved by FAA (Federal Airline Association in the USA).
It means that this car seat can be used for as the best travel system for babies in USA airlines since it meets all the standards and quality criteria of the association.
It is one of those rear-facing car seats which extend Rear-facing travelling for your babies.
Many experts believe that the safest position for a young child in a car is “Rear-Facing”.
Read more: Best Baby Bouncers for Newborn
Parents sometimes get worried about legroom of their kids; therefore, they want to switch to forward-facing.
Parents must understand that children are more flexible; they are more safe and comfortable when they sit in a rear-facing position car seat. A look at crash data makes it easy for you to understand that there is a lower rate of leg injuries on rear-facing position. Besides, this mode offers higher head and neck protection than forward-facing.
Here are some fantastic safety features come along with Safety first 3 in 1 car seat.
- Removable infant padding makes harness fitting for infant merely perfect. You can put this padding back on the seat when your baby is around 6 to 9 months old, and it is when you need the infant harness position.
- The high-back and shoulder belt positions make it super easy for you to adjust seat belt on booster mode. You can set a seat belt at the safest position for Safety first booster car seat.
- Safety First earned name and fame as the leading manufacturer of child restraints. The company doesn’t launch a product unless it passes extensive crash testing procedure. Also, they make sure that their Safety first grow with me car seat not only meet but also exceed Federal safety standards.
- A real mom reported an incident where her 18-month toddler slept through a car accident. Her driver stopped the car on a stop sign when a Truck hit their car at 45mph. She got bruises and a few injuries. But when she looked at her daughter who was on a rear-position car seat. She was perfectly fine and sleeping, nothing happened to her, not even a single bruise. Isn’t it a Miracle? Yes, and it is made possible by Safety First Grow and Go.
Parents who still in the search for a car seat with more safety feature than Grow and Go can look at Graco SnugRide Click Connect 35 car seat.
Things That you May Not Like About Safety First Car Seat
My purpose is to provide you with an honest review of the Safety 1st car seat. I already highlighted its great features. Now it’s time to shed light on some features and issues which might force you to consider some other options.
Many parents reported that they found it hard to tighten strap in the rethreaded or infant position, many times car seat slip and flip from its place. In case you like no-rethreading ever then britax marathon ClickTight might be a right option for you. Other parents discovered that getting a proper recline position where their child’s head is fully supported is a challenging task to do with Safety safety 1st grow and go car seat.
In my opinion, parents are facing these possible flaws with safety first car seat either because of car seat design or due to model or bucket seat of the car.
A few other parents were so unhappy with the chest clip. They claimed that this clip makes their babies uncomfortable. When used for long hours, then it leaves marks on their soft skin. One parent reported from Arizona that this chest clip melted and warped in the heat. It all happened when they were not in the vehicle. Terrible!
How big is this seat? Is it Compatible to Your vehicle?
Now that you have an idea of the Safety 1st car seat features, let us take a look at some of the more practical implications, such as compatibility with your specific type of vehicle and the seat’s dimensions so you can gauge if it is the right fit.
The Safety 1st 3-in-1 car seat doesn’t have a separate base; therefore, the seat cannot function as a baby carrier. The Safety 1st car seat may leave extra legroom, but it is still quite bulky in design and construction. This might mean that the crashing will not fit snuggly into a compact car.
The seat cannot be folded up and is not easy to carry around if you are travelling. Below, we have mentioned the Safety 1st 3-in-1 car seat’s dimensions so you can visualize and get an idea if it is suitable for your car or not.
- Seat depth: 12.5 inches
- Height of the seat including the headrest: 26 inches
- Highest booster seat position: 18.5 inches
Installation of the Safety 1st 3 in 1 Car Seat
The key advice we can give here is that buyers should refer to the user manual before going for the hands on approach with the Safety 1st 3-in-1 car seat.
It has been noted that maintaining recline and belt positions accurately can prove to be a challenge.
We recommend that recline position 1 should be used for newborns.
For older babies and toddlers, configurations 2 and 3 for the rear-facing seat position work just fine.
Read more: Best High Chairs Buyer’s Guide
The harness needs to be adjusted according to how old and big your baby is, too. For infants, use the lowest rethread harness slot. You will have to do this manually and we suggest getting help from more experienced parents when you go about doing this, especially if it is your first time.
Getting the straps secured can be a bit of a challenge if you are not too familiar with the convertible seat. In such cases, we would recommend an infant car seat for the early years and then you could switch later on when your baby gets a bit bigger. If you don’t like such challenges and looking for a car seat which brings utmost comfort not only for you and your baby then give a try to Graco 4Ever All-in-one Car seat.
Tightening Issue: Many parents reported that the splitter plate of Safety first 3-in-1 car seats couldn’t move because it got stuck between the plastic ribs found in the bottom of the seating area and base. Therefore, they were unable to tighten them in a way it is required.
If you found this problem, call customer care service. They will address your issue right away. In case you are looking for some alternative options then I can suggest Graco Extend2Fit Convertible Car seat which doesn’t have any issue.
- Safety 1st Go and Grow 3-in-1 car seat comes three modes: rear-facing, forward-facing, and high back booster
- This safety first car seat will grow old with your kid
- Easily convert into a safety-first Booster car seat via seat belt installation
- As your baby grows you can go with the most suitable position out of 5-position Quick Fit Harness
- Get your baby in and out of this car seat hassle-free by holding harness straps through Harness holders
- Safety first infant car seat offers more legroom to a front-seat user on the rear-facing position in comparison to its competitors
- Safety 1st Go and Grow 3-in-1 Convertible Car Seat is made in the USA
- Removable covers, easy to wash
- 10 years Expiration Date
- You can’t remove cup holders, cleaning them is a bit tricky task
- It is essential to rethread newborn straps; many parents found it hard to tighten them
- Leave less legroom for a front passenger when safety first car seat is on full rear-facing position
- Not compatible with compact cars and vehicle with bucket seats
- You can’t use Latch on Booster Mode installation
- Full chest clip makes babies uncomfortable
Read more: Chicco KeyFit 30 Infant Car Seat Review
Safety 1st Grow and Go Accessories
Here are some accessories that make a good team with Safety 1st Grow and Go 3-in-1 convertible car seats.
Munchkin Auto Seat Protector: As the name tells, this product your vehicle seat neat and clean. This protector comes handy for a vehicle with smooth leather and vinyl seats since it prevents baby seat slipping from the vehicle seat. Best of all on booster mode of Safety first car seat, you can use the front pocket to store small books, colour pencils, tissues or snacks for your children.
Read more: Best Lightweight Stroller for Travel
Lebogner Car Seat Protector + Kick Mat Seat Back Protector: No matter how many times you ask your kids to not kick on the back of the front seat, they do it anyway. It is a common habit of a child who is sitting in a forward-facing position. Since you can’t control him, what you can do is to keep the back of your front seat clean through this kick mat.
Munchkin Miracle 360 Trainer Cup: Another accessory to try with Safety 1st convertible car seat is this trainer cup. Older toddlers like to drink juices and flavoured milk in cups. So, you can get this miracle 360-degree drinking cup which has excellent features such as non-spill, spout-free, and BPA-free. Your child can hold its handle easily.
You don’t need to worry about the kick of your kids, especially when he is wearing dirty shoes due to this kick-mat. The seat back protector will keep back neat and clean. The additional perk comes in the form of pockets where you can store crayons, colour books, snacks, juices and other things for making your child a long trip merely fun.
The Safety 1st 3-in-1 car seat has a ton of great features and the fact that it can adapt as your baby grows is great for parents who are on a budget. With a 10-year life expectancy, the seat will endure for years to come and you will be able to use it again for your next baby. With all the points we discussed above, we believe the Safety 1st 3-in-1 car seat is much more suitable for toddlers and older babies.
For parents with compact cars, the Safety 1st 3-in-1 car seat may not be the most viable option as it tends to take up a lot of space. And if you are looking for a seat for your infant, selecting an infant seat rather than a convertible one would probably be a better option.
Be sure to do your research before deciding to make a purchase and check for any Safety 1st Go and Grow recalls. Check the model of the car seat and look it up online on the company’s website to be sure that there is no issue present.
Overall, the Safety 1st 3-in-1 car seat is great value for money and will ensure your baby remains safe in the vehicle for many adventures you and your family will embark upon.
Frequently Asked Questions About Safety First Car Seat
How long do safety first car seats last?
It comes with ten years expiration date.
Is Safety first car seat FAA approved?
Yes, it is FAA approved, and this feature makes it one of the best baby car seats suitable for travel.
Where is the expiration date on a safety-first car seat?
The expiration date is imprinted on the back of Safety 1st car seat.